Tuesday, September 14, 2010

I Write Because...

When given this assignment, I thought "Psshh... this will be a piece of cake." But as I sat down to write it, I couldn't think of why I write. Other than writing for school-related purposes, I don't spend much of my spare time with a pencil in hand. But when I do force myself to sit down and start writing, it is mainly a random list or an occasional letter to a friend or relative. A few years ago I attempted to write a fiction novel, hoping to become the world's next great author. After a few pages into it, I gave up. This was what I would consider to be an "epic fail".

I think that I can relate mostly to George Orwell. I completely agree with his four motives for writing: sheer egoism, aesthetic enthusiasm, historical impulse, and political purpose. In his essay, Orwell said he knew he was to become a writer from a very young age. Although I don't want to be a writer when I grow up (orthodontics is in my future), I respect Orwell for acknowledging his true nature and sharing his thoughts and opinions with the world.

As I'm finishing up my post about why I write, there is still no crystal clear reason. Besides needing to in order to get a good grade in school, of course. I think that the reason most people write is because we all have something to say, and wish to share it with the world.

2 comments:

  1. Well Nat, I'd say I agree with you on this one. I liked how you incorporated parts of yourself in the writing like the story about your novel...even though it was a fail! Question: which one of Orwell's four purposes sticks with you most?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natalayy! I agree with you when you say "We all have something to say, and wish to share it with the world." It is also difficult for me to clearly find the reason of "why I write." Good Post!

    ReplyDelete