Monday, November 15, 2010

Apparently We're Slackers

Yes, the video 2 Million Minutes was biased; I agree with that. It made Americans look like all we do is focus on social lives and fun, which is not completely true. Maybe we don't sacrifice all of our time to school and studying, but so what? We have opportunities that other kids are not fortunate enough to have. I distribute my time between school, an average amount of homework, working 15 hours a week, dance practice for another 15 hours, spanish club, student council, and a social life. No I don't have a 4.0 GPA, and that's all right with me. Instead of working myself to the bone spending endless nights awake doing schoolwork, I, as well as most of my peers, have many other activities we are involved in. Maybe the U.S. doesn't score the highest in math or science, but I believe that this will create well-rounded people with a range of skills and capabilities.

    I noticed that I rarely saw the Chinese students crack a smile, yet the Americans seemed more upbeat during their interviews. This could be because the US scored highest in "self-confidence", but still, when you stretch yourself so thin, how could you be truly happy with life?

   I felt like though the movie was biased, it spoke some truth. Only 40% of American students are taking science courses more advanced that general biology- this is concerning. We don't need to completely copy the curriculum of India or China, but it might be a good idea to re-vamp our own in order to make it more challenging and efficient.

No comments:

Post a Comment